Saturday, October 30, 2010

National Candy Corn Day...A Fat Free Food!??!

Today is National Candy Corn Day! What an awesome food to celebrate! This holiday is now on my list, right behind Talk Like a Pirate Day (September 19th).

With these fun holidays, I like to look up the origin and do a little research. Which gives me a thought, maybe my daughter doesn't ask "why" just because she is three, maybe its in her genes. Oh goodness, please pray for me. Ok, back to candy corn!

My go to site for information is Wikipedia. I love this site. Here is their summary on the origin of candy corn:

Candy corn is a confection in the United States and Canada, popular primarily in autumn around Halloween. Candy corn was created in the 1880s by George Renninger of the Wunderlee Candy Company; the three colors of the candy mimic the appearance of kernels of corn.[1] Each piece is approximately 3 times the size of a whole kernel from a ripe or dried ear. Candy corn is made primarily from sugar, corn syrup, artificial coloring and binders.[2] A serving size of 22 pieces contains 140 calories and no fat.[1]Candy corn pieces are traditionally cast in three colors: a broad yellow end, a tapered orange center, and a pointed white tip. A popular variation called "Indian corn" features a chocolate brown wide end, orange center and pointed white tip. In recent years confectioners have introduced additional color variations suited to other holidays, including Christmas and Easter.[1]

My thoughts were, "Wow, over 130 years old!" and "I had no idea there was such a science behind the candy corn."

If candy corn is not your candy, don't despair. I was excited to find an entire list of other holidays celebrating candy at the National Confectioner's Association website. (If I ever have to apply for a job again, I just may have to look into this company...seriously, who new the confectioners had an association?) They also have a few fun facts about candy corn on their site and I have posted them below for your convenience!

  • October 30th is National Candy Corn Day
  • One serving of candy corn contains only about 140 calories
  • Candy Corn is not just for Halloween anymore. Candy makers have made Reindeer Corn for Christmas, Cupid Corn for Valentine’s Day and Bunny Corn for Easter
  • More than 35 million pounds of candy corn will be produced this year. That equates to nearly 9 billion pieces—enough to circle the moon nearly 21 times if laid end-to-end.

It's time for me to go grab another handful of candy corn behind the kids' back, and restock the candy jar.

Happy National Candy Corn Day!

(And Happy Halloween!)

No comments:

Post a Comment